The wild land of Central Bulgaria
Explore the unique nature of Bulgaria on horseback, meet the local traditions and culture, discover the ancient history, and taste the delicious food and wine.
This trail takes you to the North side of the Balkan mountain – free and open land without any fences. During the holiday you have the chance to explore the greatest historical, cultural and natural landmarks in the area. This experience is supplemented by fine Bulgarian wines and delicious traditional dishes, fruits and vegetables from the local farms and our own gardens.
We understand that enjoying your horse and feeling safe are some of the most important things for a riding holiday. That is why we carefully select our horses and train them to be reliable, easily controllable and brave.
Your horse will be carefully chosen, according to your requirements and abilities. The guides will prepare the horse for you every day, so you can just relax and enjoy your holiday.
The terrain is diverse, but mainly smooth and pleasant, giving you the opportunity to ride free from strain and to enjoy with all your senses the amazing nature scenery. You will ride along the valleys, lakes, beautiful forests and open fields.
- Rider weight limit: 209 pounds / 95 kilograms
- Ability: novice to higher ability riders
- Number of riders: 4-10
- Average hours in the saddle: 3-5
- Tack type — Western and Endurance high-quality saddles – Ortho-Flex and Podium. Some of the horses are ridden in bitless bridles.
- Horses -Shagya and pure-bred Arabs, East-Bulgarian breed, and cross-bred with Arab horses – all very well-trained, spirited and easy to control. The height of the horses varies from 150 to 165 cm.
- Guides-experienced and professional – they perfectly know all horses and routes.
- It is obligatory to have a riding helmet-We also recommend: riding boots or chaps, raincoat and warm clothes, insect repellent, sunscreen.
- Meeting point-Sofia Airport.
- Pace-varying from walk on steeper slopes to a fast pace in open spaces. Riding consists of 40% walking, 30% trotting and 30% cantering. This proportion could be changed according to the requirements and the abilities of the riders or weather conditions.
During the trail you will be accommodated in nice traditional guesthouses, where you can enjoy homemade delicious dishes, fine wine, fruits and vegetables from the local gardens. Guesthouses offer traditional Bulgarian breakfast. Rooms are mostly twin with an en-suite bathroom.
Midday meals are in the open-air – picnics – during the passages and they consist of warm homemade food, beer, cold and hot drinks. We offer ecologically clean food, international and traditional Bulgarian cuisine. All meals are included.
Dates for 2024:
July – fm 13 to 20
- 8 days, 7 nights, 6 days of riding
- All meals and drinks (including beer & wine)
- Entry fees as per the itinerary
- Professional guides’ assistance
- Luggage transfers
- Jeep vehicle support
- Airport transfers from and back to Sofia
Price: 1450 EUR, all included, except for hard drinks. Single supplement: + 150 EUR.
- Additional activities: bow-shooting, cultural tour around the historic landmarks, visit of the Ethnographic complex Etara. Massages are available every night upon request for a small additional payment.
- Additional information: two guides – professional riders – with one leading the group and the other following with a jeep and all luggage.
- Accompanying children and young people: over 12 years. All accompanying non-riders will get the chance to participate in the above-mentioned additional activities.
Additional conditions and prices:
- Minimum number of riders- 4. A trail for 2 or 3 riders will be confirmed to run if the clients agree to pay the small group supplement in case the minimum of 4 is not reached.
- If a single rider wants to share a room with somebody else, but there is no other suitable person to share, then he/she will have a single accommodation and has to pay its additional tax.
- The routes and the dates could be changed upon the desires of the customers. If a group of min.4 riders wants to change a planned for one date trail to another one, this could be done in case there are no other bookings for this period.
- Prices can be changed in case of some extreme change of the fuel price.
- Additional prices:
- Private transfer from/to Sofia – 220 EUR net price.
- Small group supplement (2 or 3 in the group)
– 350 EUR net price – “The Wild Land of Central Bulgaria” & “Balkan National Park”
– 400 EUR net price – “Magic gallops in the Devetaki Plateau” & “The Kingdom of Thracians
- Sleeping bag hire – 20 EUR net price..
- Arrival time required: between 12:00 and 16:00 h or something very close to this time. The clients, arriving outside the appropriate time should have a special transfer.
- Departure time required: between 11:00 and 15:00 h or something very close to this time. The clients, departing earlier than the appropriate time, should have a special transfer. The clients, departing later than the appropriate time will not have to pay for a special transfer, but they will be left at the airport together with the earlier departing riders.
- The standard packing list is:
– helmet and riding pants, chaps
– good raincoat
– sun-protection cream
– spray against insects
– flat comfortable shoes for walking, while visiting the landmarks (there is an old pavement on few places)
– the other staff depends on the riders- cloths, etc. Good to have some light jacket even in the Summer
From Riding Club ”Alfa”, located near the town of Sevlievo, to the Novakovtsi village (2 nights), the Rocky Chain Vitata Stena, the village of Zhivko, village of Gesha, ”Etara” Ethnographic complex, Gabrovo, Dryanovo monastery, Gostilitsa village and back to the Riding Club.
- Pick up from Sofia Airport and transfer to Sevlievo, located 190 km Northeast from the capital.
- Arrival in the town of Sevlievo.
- Arrival in the town of Sevlievo and accommodation in Hotel Incanto, which has a sauna and jacuzzi.
- Initial Instructions by the guides. (Can be done at the next morning, depending of the arrival time)
- Dinner and rest in the hotel.
- Breakfast at the hotel. Packing up the luggage and heading to the Riding Club.
- Arrival at the stable. Introducing the horses to the riders, final preparations and instructions by the guides.
- A round of riding for about 2 hours through hills and beautiful forests with small creeks.
- Lunch at the Riding Club.
- After lunch, another ride in the area of the stable for about 2 hours.
- Dinner and night in a guest house “St. George” (2 nights).
- About 18 km (4 hours) of riding.
- Breakfast at the guest house.
- Riding through forests and open fields giving opportunity for nice canters, disclosing great view of the Balkan mountain.
- Picnic near Armenite village.
- Riding towards the village Novakovtsi where we will spend the night in the quiet guest house “St. George”.
- Dinner at the guest house.
- About 25 km (4,5 hours) riding.
- Ride to the small and well-hidden village of Zhivko. Riding alongside the foot of the famous rocky chain ”Vitata Stena” (10 km long and more than 120 m high!), which is a nature reserve. Along the ride you will have an amazing view towards the Balkan mountain.
- Picnic outdoors at a lake over the rocks.
- Arrival at Zhivko village.
- Visit by car of the Ethnographic complex “Etara” near Gabrovo city. The complex represents a village from the 19th century with the main crafts developed at that time. The old machines work with the power of running water and the present craftsmen produce traditional pots, garments, food, musical instruments, tools and souvenirs on them.
- Dinner and night at a beautiful traditional-style guest house in Zhivko village.
- About 20 km (4 hours) riding.
- Breakfast at the guest house.
- Pack up and ride in the wilderness towards Gesha village.
- Picnic outdoors near Yantra river.
- Arrival at Gesha and spending the night in a nice guest house with a swimming pool.
- About 21 km (4 hours) riding.
- Breakfast at the guest house and visit by car of Dryanovo Monastery and “Bacho Kiro” cave above it. The Monastery survived after being set on fire by the Ottoman army in one epic battle with the rebels of the biggest Bulgarian uprising against the Turkish occupation in 1876.
- Ride north, enjoying nice canters along the wild meadows.
- Picnic near Skalsko lake.
- Arrival at the beautiful Guest House Gostilitsa with a swimming pool.
- Dinner and rest at the guest house.
- About 22 km (4 hours) of riding.
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- Start an amazing ride back to Riding club ”Alfa” through the wilderness and along the beautiful forests, creeks and fields of the Southwest.You will enjoy the breathtaking view all around.
- Picnic in the wilderness.
- Arrival at the stable, saying goodbye to the horses.
- Farewell dinner and night in the hotel Incanto.
- About 20 km (4 hours) of riding.
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- Leaving for Sofia.
- Departure from Sofia Airport.